ICE - In Case of Emergency

Everything else goes in here
Post a reply

Do you carry ICE details? (On phone, USB stick, card etc)

Yes
76%
No, but I will now
6%
No, I don't see the point
18%

Total votes : 17

ICE - In Case of Emergency

by Paul on Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:53 am

Who here has ICE saved on their phone? Or carry an ICE card?

ICE is In Case of Emergency and gives the name and phone number of a significant other who could be contacted should the need arise.

For more details see this site. It's a good idea particularly for bikers as you're not always out with friends.

There is now a little USB dog tag that you can buy that stores; ICE details, photograph. blood type, GP contact details, International language options in case you are abroad, and you can put text files on it.
And the Lord said unto John; "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Paul
Site Admin

Bike(s): '99 Yam R6

Re: ICE - In Case of Emergency

by gouldie13 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:29 pm

yup i put 3 numbers on my phone under ICE (my dad, home, and gf) after reading about it on UKBF. touch would it hasnt been needed yet
Owned: Gilera DNA, Honda xlr125, Suzuki gsx600f, Suzuki DRZ400E, Yamaha TRX850, Yamaha thundercat 600, Honda Hornet, Aprilia RSV1000

gouldie13
Knee Down King

Bike(s): Currently bikeless..

by Weedy on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:50 pm

I have three ICE numbers on my phone, however didn't see the point of the digital dog-tags as the information isn't available immediately in case of an accident. I opted for military style tags with Name, Blood Group, Next of kin & Phone number on it.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them"

Weedy
Knee Down King

Bike(s): Bikeless for now

by Big Al on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:53 pm

No have'nt thought anything of it
but now will do so
Ride ya bike as though you've just nicked it.
Big Al
Knee Down King

Bike(s): CBR600F

by Phil_Norwich on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:34 pm

It doesn't actually say ICE. But the contact numbers home, mum and dad seem the obvious choices to me.
"If its got tits or pistons its gunna be expensive"

Phil_Norwich
Trackday Rookie

Bike(s): VFR400 NC30

by Paul on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:19 pm

Weedy wrote:...however didn't see the point of the digital dog-tags as the information isn't available immediately in case of an accident....

I believe they have small PCs in ambulances so those details can be got to asap.

Phil_Norwich wrote:It doesn't actually say ICE. But the contact numbers home, mum and dad seem the obvious choices to me.

If your phone breaks in the accident then can't get the details. Also some people don't get on/have contact with parents and my work people only know my name and number. They don't have any emergency contact details unless they get through to HR.

It is always good to have a back up plan.
And the Lord said unto John; "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Paul
Site Admin

by Phil_Norwich on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:23 pm

True. Now edited

Phil_Norwich
Trackday Rookie

by Paul on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:32 pm

Phil_Norwich wrote:True. Now edited

No need to edit it. Its you're thoughts and original opinion, don't change something becuase i don't 100% agree with it. Stand you're ground!

Now change it back... (Only joking )

Paul
Site Admin

by Weedy on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:12 am

Paul wrote:
Weedy wrote:...however didn't see the point of the digital dog-tags as the information isn't available immediately in case of an accident....

I believe they have small PCs in ambulances so those details can be got to asap.

That's all good and well, but what about the 5-10 minutes before the ambulance can get to you? If a total stranger runs over to help you and finds a USB stick round your neck, it's not going to be much good. If the same stranger runs over to help you and can find your name, blood type, next of kin and their phone number just by looking at a necklace, that's a much better bet in my mind
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them"

Weedy
Knee Down King

Bike(s): Bikeless for now

by Rach on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:22 am

I have ICE details on my phone,never heard of it until it came up on another forum i post on. The one thing i always carry with me,especially on the bike,is my phone so if the unthinkable happens....hubby will be informed asap.

I think you can also get one of them rubber wristband thingys with it on

Found the link..... http://www.icebands.biz

Rach
DAS'ing

Bike(s): Triumph Daytona 600

by Paul on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:33 am

Weedy wrote:That's all good and well, but what about the 5-10 minutes before the ambulance can get to you? If a total stranger runs over to help you and finds a USB stick round your neck, it's not going to be much good. If the same stranger runs over to help you and can find your name, blood type, next of kin and their phone number just by looking at a necklace, that's a much better bet in my mind

Fair enough, however I still don't agree with you

IMHO what good is a random first person on scene knowing your blood type and NOK? The main priority is to get an ambulance and/or Police on its way followed by administering first aid straight away if needed/you’re confident in what you’re doing. If the person is conscious and it’s all internal where you can't do anything then trying to keep them warm and talking.

I for sure don't carry spare blood around with me! and IMO ringing NOK is a job that can be carried out 10-15 mins later, the persons health is first priority.

Paul
Site Admin

by Phil_Norwich on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:26 pm

Paul wrote:
Phil_Norwich wrote:True. Now edited

No need to edit it. Its you're thoughts and original opinion, don't change something becuase i don't 100% agree with it. Stand you're ground!

Now change it back... (Only joking )

I'm not changing it back again haha.

I see your point, just having ICE next to some numbers doesn't cause any harm. Touch wood it won't need to be used.

Might get some dogtags one day. Makes sense, didn't really think about it til reading this thread.

Phil_Norwich
Trackday Rookie

by gouldie13 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:52 pm

i really like them wristbands, think the look the dogs danglies TBH, and only £6.99! what a bargain.
Owned: Gilera DNA, Honda xlr125, Suzuki gsx600f, Suzuki DRZ400E, Yamaha TRX850, Yamaha thundercat 600, Honda Hornet, Aprilia RSV1000

gouldie13
Knee Down King

Bike(s): Currently bikeless..

by Knacker on Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:45 am

Na never really thought about it

Ill jot some names down on 1 of my work buisness cards thatll do

Knacker
Trackday Rookie

Bike(s): 99' GSXR 600 SRAD

by carlperkins001 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:34 pm

I think anything you wear that can help the emergency services save your life is a good thing. Even if it was a bright pink necklace with details on it. emergency services will work with whatever they have and get the info asap. ill probably get some dogtags with my details on it when i come into some money.
first bike: Kinroad XT50GY (piece o' shite broke after 2 weeks)
second bike: CBR125R 07'
third bike: CB600F Hornet 99'
current bike: CBR600F3 03'

carlperkins001
DAS'ing

Bike(s): CBR 600

Next

Post a reply

Return to Off Topic