Women of the forum...

For chatting, generally, about bikes...

Women of the forum...

Postby Paul on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:49 pm

Women / short guys (Alz ;) )...

What do you ride, how tall are you and do you struggle with any part of your bike?

The reason i ask is becuase my misses has shown a keen interest in biking and has already had a couple of lessons. She is due to take her Mod 1 DAS in just over a week and is doing pretty well. Before long she'll pass and is itching to get a bike (She wants my R6 but not a chance :lol: )

I've been looking at some bikes that would be ideal for her first 'big bike'.

So far i've thought of:
- CB500
- ER5
- SV 650
- Bandit 6
- CBR 400, ZXR400, VFR400

She likes 'tarty' bikes (Just like me :lol: ) and has ruled most of the above out other than the SV and Sports 400s. Shes quite short about 5'2 and small so bike needs to be of the smaller sort...

Budget is about £850 for her first one due to paying for a wedding next year and our house. Been keeping an eye on eBay / Forums etc, but this post is more of what you ride and how you get on with it.

Ideas...
And the Lord said unto John; "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bike(s): '99 Yam R6

Re: Women of the forum...

Postby Shez on Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:17 pm

Ha funny you should mention it,was talking to Rach about this last week. Im about 5' 4 my bike too big for me,tip toes which makes it hard coz I struggle to move it when on foot and its hard to shift about whilst on it (seeings as its only my toes on the ground). Ive had endless times of nearly dropping it and actualy succeeded to once (was gutted!). Only actualy ridden 5 bikes in 10years,1st was a shity kick start 125 of which I cant even remember what make or model (wouldnt be in a rush to get back on that) spent about an hour on it doing cbt then there was the suzuki gs 500e I think it was to which I dropped endless amounts of times ha ha wasnt my bike,again it was riding schools bike,but eventualy they had a cut out seat and managed to make it lower but somehow cant see your other half would like it. Then I bought a vfr 400 nc30 cracking little bike but soon found I wanted more gumption lol,wasnt easy sticking with my buddies on their bigger bikes. Tried out my hub's zx7r,LOVED IT! Spent more time worried I was gonna drop it which took some of the fun out of it but it gave me more confidence coz it felt like it was on rails. Now on my bike it is heavy and big but dont think I will ever find a sports that I love that will also give me plenty of foot on the ground? Am looking into lowering it,its already set to be as low as it can with what its got which makes it handle like shit but at least I dont have to run red lights and have some1catch me when I stop lol,just end up in a pickle sometimes and really have to think ahead before I park! Its real nerve racking parking close to other bikes in case I lose it but most of the time I have my parking man with me ha ha,if not then it just gets dumped where its convenient lol. So answer to your question is. . . Youll be lucky lol. Best bet is to keep looking,go to few bike shops n try some out for size,dont have to buy it from shop but might give you some idea,and home thing is its something she could do now,not gotta ride it to know if its too big. Have noticed alot of women on kwak's dont know if its coz they are small,but they all been fairly new and on your budget its gonna be a mature one so not sure if size wise would be the same?. . . Fallen asleep yet lol. Best bet is let her use yours for a bit,see how she gets on lmao
Shez
125cc racer
125cc racer

Postby Rach on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Sorry can't help you there....i'm 5' 7 and never had a problem with bike height to be honest. However i did have an SV650 for a while,a cast off from my ex husband who did struggle with his short legs :lol: :lol: can't remember the seat height now but it was lower than my daytona and is a cracking bike to learn on and gain experience.....did me the world of good once i got used to the v-twin engine :lol:
Rach
DAS'ing
DAS'ing

Bike(s): Triumph Daytona 600

Postby mikey675 on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:20 pm

My girlfriend tried my zxr 400 out for size (shes 5'4) and she could touch the ground with both feet, with the 400 you kind of sit in the bike as opposed to my triumph which your pearched on top she tried the triumph and practically had to hang off the thing to touch the ground. The 400 is very light and easy to push around and if pushed could easily keep up with bigger bigs on the twistys.
“Those Who Risk Nothing, Do, Achieve, & Become Nothing”
mikey675
Ped boi
Ped boi

Bike(s): Daytona 675 zxr400

Postby Alz on Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:34 am

Only just read this thread what with not being a women and all, but seeing how I've been named in it I thought I'd reply anyway even though I'm a couple of months late :)
I'm 5'5 and have pretty short legs as well. :(

With an £850 budget you'll probably struggle to find anything tarty looking. You'd probably get an ok 400 sports that just needed a bit of tidying.
Or an early CBR600F, they aren't that tall and the seat has lots of padding so can be shaped to make them lower easily.
You sometimes see early Ducati Monster 600's that are a bit worn looking for about a grand, they are really low and easy to manage. Quite cool as well although at that price I think they could end up being a bit of a money pit.
I'd try out an SV650S before buying one as I found that although the seat height is fine, on the 'S' model its a long stretch to the bars. More then some sports bikes and I don't think my top half is quite so short its just my little legs.

The problem with older bikes is that they are normally quite heavy and they made no effort to centralize the weight low down so are also top heavy. Modern bikes are a lot better I've found.
My FZR400 has a 770mm seat height and my Vespa has an 810mm seat height but the Vespa is much easier to manage just because its so much lighter.

This is a helpful site for seeing how you will fit different bikes- http://cycle-ergo.com/
Alz
125cc racer
125cc racer

Bike(s): FZR400RR

Postby Paul on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks for all the input guys.

She decided she wanted a 600 and after having a little play on mine she decided she wanted one...

So ended up picking up a '00 plate R6. We shall see how she gets one with it.

Thanks
Paul
And the Lord said unto John; "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stillstrange on Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:09 pm

wow if you got that within your budget price you did well there!!

I keep looking for things around that mark to use as a track toy. Must keep looking and not thinking about the house move and bigger mortgage that may make things like a track bike less affordable.

And lets see some pics of the new bike.
stillstrange
DAS'ing
DAS'ing

Bike(s): Yamaha Thunderace

Postby Paul on Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:17 pm

stillstrange wrote:wow if you got that within your budget price you did well there!!

I keep looking for things around that mark to use as a track toy. Must keep looking and not thinking about the house move and bigger mortgage that may make things like a track bike less affordable.

And lets see some pics of the new bike.

Nope, blew the budget out! We received our mortgage so she went and spent some of it :o :?

Will get some decent pics at some point.

Get a track bike, you know it makes sense ;)
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ALOSTMIND on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:59 am

U let the side down ! First quote (R6) not a chance ! Then u buckle & get her one ! Come on thats makin a rod for ur own back giving in easy !
ImageImage
ALOSTMIND
Trackday Rookie
Trackday Rookie

Bike(s): SUZUKI BANDIT 600

Postby stillstrange on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:50 am

What you should have done is got another r6 kept the better one for yourself and let her have the 'other one'
Hope she has fun out on it and gets some miles before the weather turns rubbish.

I keep looking at bikes to use as a track toy but still not found the right 1 at the right price. I did see a yam thundercat sell on egay for about £800 and thats the sort of money I am looking at. Although with the suspension refurb on the ace costing more than I expected my budget is vanishing quickly.
stillstrange
DAS'ing
DAS'ing

Bike(s): Yamaha Thunderace

Return to General Bike Chat