New 'tank' bag

For chatting, generally, about bikes...

New 'tank' bag

Postby Paul on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:13 pm

Popped in to WEBBS of Peterborough today as my other half wanted to look at a few bikes. Whilst there i spotted this little gadget:

http://www.givi.co.uk/soft-luggages/Tan ... 2-TANKLOCK

A video here how it connects to the bike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=1B ... h=0&loop=1

I ended up imulse buying :oops:, but glad i did as its quite a nifty bag! Not too big but big enough to hold all i need to hold on a decent rideout / commute.

Also has a slot in the front that fits my iPhone so i can use the SatNav on that.

Thought i would share it with you lot in case anyone was after something similar.

Thanks
Paul
And the Lord said unto John; "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bike(s): '99 Yam R6

Re: New 'tank' bag

Postby stillstrange on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:04 am

That does look rather good. Nice simple fitting system and looks quite secure.

When the bag is on is there any chance of it rotating on the base?? It didnt look like there was any locking sections to keep it facing the same way.

Also is there a cable entry point to allow you to charge your device?? If your phone satnag is anything like mine it chews batteries so is best to be kept on charge.
stillstrange
DAS'ing
DAS'ing

Bike(s): Yamaha Thunderace

Postby Paul on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:08 am

stillstrange wrote:That does look rather good. Nice simple fitting system and looks quite secure.

When the bag is on is there any chance of it rotating on the base?? It didnt look like there was any locking sections to keep it facing the same way.

Also is there a cable entry point to allow you to charge your device?? If your phone satnag is anything like mine it chews batteries so is best to be kept on charge.

Yep it locks in to place and doesn't rotate. Just sits firmly in place.

There isn't a cable entry point as the bag is meant to be water resistant (although it comes with an extra waterproof cover). However there are 2 zips on the zip so you could angle the wire to come out between the zips at whatever angle you want. If that makes any sense?

There are a couple of downpoints that I've found so far:
- The price, as with any new design / idea, is expensive!
- When you dismount it it leaves the little clip attached to the petrol cap. Not a problem just as aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
- My phone doesn't completely fit in length ways, but fits enough to do what it needs to do (fits in the pouch and velcros in but not the whole whole phone can be seen on the outside. - needs to be about 1cm longer - this doesn't affect the screen so you can still see everything) - oh and you can still use the touch screen through the cover which is good!

HTHs
Paul
And the Lord said unto John; "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stillstrange on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:57 am

It does indeed, Will watch the development with interest and see what other accessories they bring out with the same mounting system.

I ended up buying the Mrs a little oxford magnetic tank bag as the 1 we got previously fouled the bars on the ER6 as the bag was too wide. http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/motorcycle-luggage/motorcycle-soft-luggage-textile/oxford-x4-tank-hecktasche-rot.html this 1 was nice and small and quite sturdy which does have a 'weather proof' cable entry.

performs reasonably well but being a small tank bag the magnets although very powerful are not as big as I would like.
stillstrange
DAS'ing
DAS'ing

Bike(s): Yamaha Thunderace

Postby c-m on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:57 pm

Looks good, but way too small really. Just 4litres volume? That's tiny. Most tank bags are expandable up to 20-25l
c-m
Ped boi
Ped boi

Bike(s): Aprilia Falco

Postby Paul on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:22 pm

c-m wrote:Looks good, but way too small really. Just 4litres volume? That's tiny. Most tank bags are expandable up to 20-25l

Yer it is quite small but thats one of the reasons i was got it. I already have a tank bag if i need all the space. This is for general commuting/rideout where i want to store a couple of bits but don't a huge tank bag in the way.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby c-m on Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:38 pm

So whatever happened to pics of this back on your bike then?

Is the bag large enough to fit in an A4 magazine without bending or folding it?
c-m
Ped boi
Ped boi

Bike(s): Aprilia Falco

Postby Paul on Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:12 pm

c-m wrote:So whatever happened to pics of this back on your bike then?

Is the bag large enough to fit in an A4 magazine without bending or folding it?

Sorry, cleary i never got round to gettingt the pics.I'll try and get some.

No its not big enough for an A4 mag without bending it.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General Bike Chat