Laguna Seca

Got a picture/video/sound clip of your bike? Why not share it in here.

Laguna Seca

Postby Alz on Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:11 pm

On a recent trip to America I managed to have a nose around Laguna Seca Raceway and take a few pics.
Probably not very interesting unless you're a bit of a fellow geek who enjoys looking at empty race tracks :)
They had a couple of race schools running at the time so at least it gave me the opportunity to see a few people lapping the track.
Some guys on KTM RC8's and a then some single seater cars.

They always say on TV that you don't realise how extreme the corkscrew is unless you see it in person and I'd say thats 100% correct, its simply unreal, I didn't find the actual elevation drop of the corkscrew but over the track its 300ft (91m).
It makes the drop after Paddock Hill Bend at Brands Hatch look tiny and that feels massive when you're flying down it, so god knows what the corkscrew would be like.

The view from the top of the hill is pretty good if you turn around a bit I reckon you could see about 75% of the track even if it is a bit distant.
Got a hoodie from the track shop, but the shop itself was a bit disappointing, I expected it to be decked out with all kinds of cool memorabilia, but all it had was a few t-shirts, hoodies and some tacky cups and magnets.
Alz
125cc racer
125cc racer

Bike(s): FZR400RR

Re: Laguna Seca

Postby steveburrows on Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:44 pm

weather looks hot, and theres not much run off at the bottom of the corkscrew. Wouldnt fancy hitting the concrete barriers if i fell off
steveburrows
125cc racer
125cc racer

Bike(s): Yamaha MT09, PCX125

Postby Alz on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:54 pm

Weather was ok, about 25c, its in Northern California and near the coast so its quiet a bit colder then a bit further south and inland. It was 35c a few hours away.

I don't think the exit of the corkscrew would really be a problem as its a pretty slow corner, you couldn't really build up enough speed coming out of it to run really far off track.
The entry to it looks horrible though, its at the end of a fast straight and just after a big crest so its almost a blind entry, not much run off either if you miss the braking point. That knowledge comes to you from my extensive playing of racing computer games :P
Alz
125cc racer
125cc racer

Postby Graham on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:36 am

Those pics are really cool. I am that geek who's always wanted to go to laguna seca. :geek:
I used to love watching the WSB guys round there on tv, how good would it be to do a trackday there!
Graham
125cc racer
125cc racer

Bike(s): 06 Blade, KTM 690sm

Postby Paul on Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:34 pm

How comes you didn't to a track day there Alz?
Looks good though
And the Lord said unto John; "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bike(s): '99 Yam R6

Postby Alz on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:31 pm

Would have loved to have done a trackday but even if I took my leather and helmet with me then hired a track bike, the circuit was completely booked up by race schools and various clubs in the time that I could have gone.
I did look into doing the race school as a way of riding the track but it was $675 for the day and you only got a short amount of the day on track, the rest was classroom based.
Alz
125cc racer
125cc racer

Return to Media Gallery